Click on any underlined title to see more detailed information on each program, including videos approved for recording by speaker. If you have trouble playing any video, please let us know at email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More Than 57 Reasons to Visit and Volunteer at the Heinz History Center
Speaker: Joe Arnold, Heinz History Center Volunteer
Wightman House History
Ulysses J.L. Peoples built Wightman School as a sub-district of the Colfax Schools. The original building was only five rooms and an office. Later, the same architect was contracted to enlarge the building, adding eight rooms, a library, and a third floor gymnasium. The Romanesque style of the new wing is decorated with ornate cherubic friezes, intricate stained glass windows and a highly elaborate facade on the stage.
As owner of the building, Carriage House Children’s Center, Inc., has developed a strong renovation plan focused on bringing the building into the 21th Century while preserving the 19th Century charm.
*No additional information or video is available for this program
Getting to Know our Neighbors: History of Greenfield
Speaker: Author: Anita Kulina-Smith
Anita Kulina will take us on a virtual history tour of Greenfield, which until 1868 was part of Squirrel Hill.
The Landscapes of Squirrel Hill, Frick and Schenley Parks. GEOLOGY UNDERLIES IT ALL
Speaker: Albert Kollar, M.S. Geologist, Section of Geology and Invertebrate Paleontology at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History
History of Frick Park
Speaker: Susan Rademacher, Parks Curator for the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy
Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy As Parks Curator for the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy since 2007, Susan is responsible for revealing, preserving, and promoting the cultural significance of the Pittsburgh Parks. She oversees planning and design of capital projects, develops design standards, and investigates the cultural, landscape, and social history of park landscapes.
“The Names of Pittsburgh” with emphasis on Squirrel Hill
Speaker: Author, Bob Regan Research Professor at the University of Pittsburgh and a consultant specializing in Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
The book is accompanied by 100 photos, maps, and illustrations, most of them historic. It also includes 10 maps suggesting areas for independent exploration of The Names of Pittsburgh.
WALKING TOUR of Chatham University
Note: On this walk we had the exceptional treat of visiting one of the grand private homes on Woodland Road — a wonderful restoration of a 20th century arts and crafts home that is both handsome and livable.
This tour was held last year (2009) and was quite successful. Chatham University dates its beginnings back to 1869 where it was first housed in the Berry Mansion on Woodland Road. Today’s campus consists of buildings and grounds from former Mansions of such Pittsburgh notables as Andrew Mellon, Edward Stanton Fickes, George M Laughlin Jr. and James Rea.
Elements designed by the renowned Olmstead Brothers for the original Andrew Mellon estates are included in the present campus. Chatham’s campus was designated an Arboretum by the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta.
Todd is the author of a website that provides historic bridge information for thousands of structures throughout the country. The most complete coverage will be in the western Pennsylvania area.
“Celebrating 100 Years” — Mary Brown/Ames Memorial United Methodist Church in Squirrel Hill
Speaker: Pastor Jim Cannistraci
The history of the Mary Brown/Ames Unted Methodist Church The Turner Graveyard is adjacent to the Church on Beechwood Boulevard and has the distinction of of being the second oldest cemetery in Allegheny County, with Trinity Episcopal in Downtown the first oldest. The Turner Graveyard is where many pioneer families of the city’s 14 and 15 wards are buried.
Event cancelled due to the 22+inch Snowfall that gave all of Pittsburgh an interesting experience for days!!
HISTORY OF THE PITTSBURGH SYMPHONY (PSO)
Speaker: Chuck Vogel, Volunteer, PSO Speakers Bureau
The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra was formed in 1896 by the Art Society. It quickly attained high standards under conductor Frederic Archer, and Victor Herbert, the Irish-born leading composer of Broadway operettas.