5638 Northumberland Street
5638 Northumberland, located between Wightman Street and Negley Avenue, is one of two houses built speculatively in 1907 by Henry Averbach, a Downtown Pittsburgh pants manufacturer. Averbach constructed the houses in the foursquare style, with Tudor Revival influences, at a cost of $7,000 each.
The first purchaser of this house was J.A. Albert, a wholesale grain merchant, for $13,000 in early 1909. Geidel was a Hill District native and son of Persian immigrants. Geidel and his wife, who had 5 children, resided in the house until his death in 1962. In the 1930s, he founded the Geidel Battery Service Company.
To add to a memory scroll down to the next page