The Squirrel Hill News was a weekly newspaper published between 1935 and 1970. Early in the development of the Historical Society, a member donated a nearly complete bound set of the newspapers to the SHHS. This material was kept in the President’s home and periodic announcements were made of its availability for research. However, only limited use was ever made of the newspapers.
About three yours ago the Society took several steps to increase accessibility to the newspapers. First, we provided hard copies of the papers to the Pennsylvanian Department of the Carnegie Library, which has now put this material on microfiche. We then donated the paper copies to the Detre Library at the Heinz History Center (where they can viewed and used) and turned over the digital information to the University of Pittsburgh Archives and Special Collections. Ed Galloway, University Assistant Librarian and head of the Archives and Special Collections, then spent the past year working to get the Squirrel Hill News included in the Historic Pittsburgh website. We have now linked our website with Historical Pittsburgh the use of that site as follow.
Access Squirrel Hill News HERE (unless you need to read the following instructions)
Accessing the Squirrel Hill News Newspapers is still a work in progress. Below are the current directions, which will be revised as progress is made. Navigating the site has some differences from other newspaper search sites, so follow these directions carefully.
First, click on the link “Squirrel Hill News” it will take you to a page with the heading “Search results” in the white area on the left side of the page. Thumbnails of the newspapers appear. Next, decide whether you want to browse the newspapers or search for a particular topic.
If you want to browse the newspapers:
- Click on a newspaper and it will open in a new window. Navigate from page to page by clicking on the newspaper or by using the white arrows in the gray boxes on the right below the newspapers.
- To zoom in or out, use the pair of magnifying glass icons above the newspaper that have a plus or minus sign in them.
- To make the newspaper full screen, click on the large gray square icon with the white rectangle and smaller white dots in the upper right next to the magnifying glasses. To get out of full screen, click on the gray square again.
- To search for a particular topic in that newspaper, type a keyword in the search box next to the gray square icon in the upper right that says, “Search inside this book.” IMPORTANT: DO NOT TYPE THE KEYWORD IN THE GRAY SEARCH BOX IN THE BAR DIRECTLY BELOW THE HISTORIC PITTSBURGH MASTHEAD. It will take you out of the Squirrel Hill News and to the main Historic Pittsburgh website.
- Type in your keyword and press the Return key. If your keyword is in the newspaper, orange balloons will appear in a bar under the newspaper. If you hover the mouse over an orange balloon without clicking on it, a few words from the search result will be displayed. Choose a balloon to click on and it will take you to a page the keyword is on. The word will be highlighted in yellow. (The yellow is faint and hard to see, so you might have to enlarge the page and navigate the page by clicking on it, holding the mouse button down, and moving it around.)
- To return to the “Search the Squirrel Hills News!” link, do NOT click on “Back to search results” above the newspaper, which will take you back to the main Historic Pittsburgh website. Instead, look on the left side of the page. Under the heading “Squirrel Hill News,” you will see “Go to item description” (which will tell you more about the issue you are looking at). In the line below that you will see Prev, Issue, Next, and All Issues. Prev and Next take you to the issue before or after the one you are looking at. All Issues takes you to thumbnails of all the newspapers. Click on one to continue to browse. You can also navigate by using the back and forward arrows at the very top left of the window. Keep pressing the back arrow until you get to the page you want to be on.
If you want to search all the newspapers using a specific keyword:
- When you click on “Search Squirrel Hill News!” and the page with the thumbnails opens, look at the column on the left. Under the large heading “Search results” you will see “Search” in a gray box. Under the “Search terms” box below it, you will see “squirrel hill news.”
- DO NOT type anything in the box that says “squirrel hill news.” Directly under it you will see a small box with a plus sign in it. Click on the plus sign and more choices will drop down. Type a keyword into the new “search terms” box and click on the “Search” box or press the Return key. You can also use the other options to refine your search even more.
- A new page opens with the results of your search. Choose a newspaper and click on it. You will again see the orange balloons in the bar under the newspaper. Click on a balloon and it will take you to where the keyword appears in the paper.
- To return to your search results, use the back arrow at the very top of the page, on the left above the Historic Pittsburgh masthead. The back arrow will take you back through all the pages you looked at until it returns to your search results.
If you want to save a copy of a page or a particular article:
- If you want to save the whole page, right click on your mouse and select the option you prefer to save the page.
- If you want to save a picture of a particular article, you can take a screen shot of it. On a mac, press Command-Shift-4 and a plus sign appears. Position the plus sign on one corner of what you want to take the screen shot of and drag over the area you want to keep. Release the mouse and a screen shot will appear as an icon on your desktop.
- The directions for taking a screen shot on a pc are more complicated and have a variety of options, so please search Google for directions on how to do it.