Upcoming Events

All evening programs are open to the public and held at the Church of the Redeemer, 5700 Forbes Avenue, and begin at 7:30 pm.

If you have any suggestions or ideas for future speakers or topics to put on our agenda, please email us at historysqhill@hotmail.com.

YEAR 2018

AUGUST 16, 2018 (Thursday)

Special Reception/Program
Celebrating the 45th Anniversary of The Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition
Speakers: Ray Baum, Wayne Gerhold, Steve Hawkins, Erik Wagner, and Marian Lien. *Additional perspective to be provided by Yale Rosenstein, Karen Brean, and Stanley Lederman.

About the Speakers:
Raymond N. Baum is an attorney who focuses on all aspects of real estate development, operations and transactions, ranging from acquisition, debt and equity financing, environmental evaluation and remediation, land use regulation, construction, formation of ownership entities, leasing, taxation and management. Ray assists clients dealing with government assisted housing and economic development, particularly developments involving HUD, the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, redevelopment authorities and housing authorities.

Ray has been deeply involved in community and pro bon work for over 40 years. He has served as a parent representative and on various committees in the Pittsburgh Public Schools; as president of the Pittsburgh Council on Public Education, the Pittsburgh Fund for Arts Education, and the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition; on the board of the Pittsburgh Area Jewish Committee; on committees at the United Way of Allegheny County and the Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh; and on various other community-based board and committees.

Wayne Gerhold was invited to be a Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition (SHUC) Board member and to Chair the Land Use Committee in 1978 by the then Board President, Mickey Kaufman.  He served in that capacity until 1980 when he moved to Harrisburg to be the Executive Director of the State Public School Building Authority and the Pennsylvania Higher Education Facilities Authority.  He later was appointed Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency.  Upon is return to Pittsburgh on 1985, he again joined the Board of Directors of the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition and continued to serve on the Board and was the Chair of the Education Committee until 2012.  During those years Wayne served as First Vice President for two years, President for two years and was Treasurer until 2012.  He also served as a member of the Nine Mile Run Task Force Committee.

Steve Hawkins has been a Squirrel Hill resident since college graduation in 1973.  Starting his own architectural firm in 1985 and which was always located in Squirrel Hill.  Steve joined the SHUC board in 1986.  The Hawkin’s raised three daughters in their starter home on Kamin Street, where they have lived for 41 years.

Erik Wagner is a fifth generation Pittsburgher and third generation Squirrel Hill resident. (grandparents courted in Rosen’s Drug Store in the teens). Lived in Squirrel Hill all his life, attended Squirrel Hill schools and Point Park University.  Erik raised two girls, one now in Shanghai, one in Raleigh.

Erik founded the Commercial Division of Howard Hanna Company and has been a landlord in both Pennsylvania and Florida.

He has been involved with SHUC since the mid 70’s when it was meeting in a storefront on Murray Ave. and Richard Cohen was Executive Director.  He has chaired the Zoning and Land Use Committee and was the Co-Chairman of the As Built Committee.

Major (ret) US Army Res., Mil Police Corps: commanded a unit in Pittsburgh.

Erik has served in leadership positions in the following organizations:  Realtors Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Association of Realtors; Aero Club of Pittsburgh (Past President); Pittsburgh Athletic Assn (PAA); Pittsburgh Festival Orchestra; Pittsburgh Festival Opera (Finance Committee); Pittsburgh Transportation Museum; Republican Committee (Committeeman); Selective Service Commission; Allegheny County Airport Transition Team; Southwestern PA Commission (Airports); Allegheny Co Airport Advisory Committee.

Marian Lien became the executive director of the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition in October of 2014. For over 20 years, her interests and desires to create a more socially just society led her down a professional path of creating safer environments for patients in rural health care; teaching diversity and equity in higher-ed; and building a more sustainable community. She holds a Master’s degree in Public Policy Management from the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs. Marian currently serves on the Greater Pittsburgh’s YMCA Committee for Diversity, Inclusion and Global Centers of Excellence (DIG); is a commissioner on the Governor’s Advisory Commission on Asian and Pacific American Affairs in Pennsylvania and on the City of Pittsburgh’s Commission for Human Relations; and is on the mayor’s Steering Committee for Welcoming Pittsburgh. She is also on the board of Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group and OCA Advocates for Asian and Pacific Americans, Pittsburgh Chapter.

Yale Rosenstein was born in Pittsburgh and has lived in Squirrel Hill for 80 years.  He went to Colfax and Taylor Allderdice as did his children.  His father owned and operated the Squirrel Hill News Stand until 1955.  Yale graduated the University of Pittsburgh with a Bachelor in Economics and after serving in the US Air Force Strategic Air Command, worked as a Certified Financial Planner for many years. Yale has volunteered with many community organizations including SHUC.

Karen Brean is an architect and urban planner with over thirty years of professional experience.  She has successfully managed long-term public involvement processes with multiple stakeholder groups and agendas, working with public agencies and institutions.

Recent work has included collaboration on the City of Pittsburgh’s Vacant Land Toolkit (with Asakura Robinson), the Urban Redevelopment’s East Liberty/Larimer Park Planning and Design project (with Wallace Roberts Todd), the South Side Park Master Plan (with Studio Bryan Hanes), and the Allegheny County Consolidated Plan and Annual Updates (with Mullin and Lonergan).

Brean Associates was founded in 1996. Prior to founding Brean Associates, Karen worked as an intern and staff architect at Deeter Ritchey Sippel, was employed as an Urban Designer on the staff of Pittsburgh’s Department of City Planning, served as the Executive Director of the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition (1990-1993), and taught Urban Design Studio at Carnegie Mellon University.

Stanley Lederman serves as the Chairman of the City of Pittsburgh Stadium Authority.

He is a life-long resident of Pittsburgh. He graduated from Taylor Allderdice High School and subsequently received both a B.A. and Law Degree from the University of Pittsburgh.

Stanley has been married to Lynette for 46 years.  They have two children and two grandchildren, with a granddaughter on the way.

He has been a member of the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition (SHUC) since 1974 and served as its President from 1982 – 1984.  He has been a Democratic Committeeman since 1978 and was 14th Ward Democratic Chairman from 1984 – 1990.

Stanley was a coach and commissioner in the Squirrel Hill Little League from 1974 – 1988. He now plays in the Roy Hobbs Senior Men’s National Baseball League.  He was past recipient of the Ziggy Kahn Memorial Award from the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame of Western Pennsylvania.

As part of the SHUC 45th anniversary celebration, President Richard Feder wrote about the neighborhood for the Squirrel Hill Magazine.

Following are Richard’s comments:
The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh recently released a “Jewish Community Survey and Study.  Because the report presents a number of findings about Squirrel Hill’s importance to our Jewish community, and the Jewish population’s importance to Squirrel Hill, I want to share some aspects with you in this edition of the President’s Letter.

Overall, the study estimated that there are 49,200 Jewish persons living in the greater Pittsburgh area, an increase of 17% from the previous time the tabulation was made. According to the study, Squirrel Hill plus Shadyside (actually zip codes 15217+15232) is home to 26% of the region’s Jewish households (containing 30% of the Jewish population). Another 31% of Jewish households are located in the City of Pittsburgh but outside the two neighborhoods. (Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are not broken out separately in the report.)

“The study reveals that Squirrel Hill remains a very vibrant, stable and desirable neighborhood for the community,” said Jack Ukeles of the firm that conducted the study. “The greater Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh accounts for 47 percent of the entire Jewish population in greater Pittsburgh. This is a stable, third-generation community that is tightly knit and connected. The stability of Squirrel Hill, a geographic hub of the Jewish community located within the city limits, is unique in North America.”

I noticed that the focus of the 47% statistic is “the Jewish population.” What I wanted to do was turn the focus to Squirrel Hill, i.e., to see if I could determine the percentage of the 27,220 population of the Squirrel Hill zip code that is Jewish.

(The following analysis by me is taken from information from the study as well as U.S. Census information.)

The clue came in the “dot density” maps included in the report, showing a representation of the geographic locations of Jewish households in the region. The following is an excerpt of the central portion of that map, with 15217+15232 shown in dark blue:

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 10.12.06 PM

From this I made two observations. One is that although there are many households located outside of 15217+15232, a large number of those households are located in the immediate vicinity, such as Oakland, East Liberty, Point Breeze, Regent Square, and outside the city limits but proximate to Squirrel Hill including Wilkinsburg, Swissvale and Edgewood. This reinforces the notion that the “greater Squirrel Hill area” is a major focus of the region’s Jewish population.

The second observation is that, within the blue area the dots appear to be located fairly evenly throughout that area. In other words, the locations of Jewish households are “shmeared” (to use a non-technical term) relatively uniformly across the central area. In finding out that 15217 comprises 82.6% of the land area of the combined 15217 and 15232 area, I felt comfortable, because of the even distribution in assuming that 82.6% of the Jewish population in the combined area resides in the 15217 zip-code. Since the Jewish population within the two zip codes is estimated to be 14,800, then there are about 12,200 Jewish persons residing in 15217. According to the 2010 Census, there were 27,220 persons living in 15217, so it is therefore estimated that the percentage of the population of 15217 which is Jewish is 45%.

Another study finding to highlight is the age distribution of the Jewish population, which according to a newspaper article is that more than half (55 percent) of adults ages 50-64 live outside city limits, compared with 37 percent of ages 35-49 and 33 percent of ages 18-34. Since the population within Pittsburgh trends younger than outside the city, this portends a positive trend toward living in the city as long as there are housing choices and positive schooling options for those demographic groups.

As Pittsburgh’s Mayor Bill Peduto was quoted as saying: “There’s very few areas of America where you have such a strong Jewish community that is centralized in city neighborhoods. That distinct character is a part the fabric of Pittsburgh. If you’re Jewish and you’re looking for a city around the country, this study helps to show there is a very welcoming home for you here.”

SEPTEMBER 11, 2018 (Tuesday)
“How Geology Influenced the Landscape Paintings of Pittsburgh Artist John Kane”
Speaker: Albert Kollar, Geologist, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
John Kane and his family emigrated from Scotland in the late 19th century and settled in Port Perry near the present day United States Steel Edgar Thomson Works. Most of the landscapes were drawn from his experiences living near the George Westinghouse Bridge (Turtle Creek Valley No. 1, circa 1930), Frick Park (Nine Mile Run seen from Calvary, circa 1928), and Schenley Park (Panther Hollow, Pittsburgh, circa 1933-1934). Mr. Kollar will discuss his 2010 publication “Geology, Landscape, and John Kane’s Landscape Paintings”.

About the Speaker: from Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Albert D. Kollar is a scientist at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is the section head in the Section of Invertebrate Paleontology and is responsible for the collection management of more than 800,000 invertebrate fossils and rocks some of which are approximately 1 billion years old.
Mr. Kollar has degrees in Geology and Invertebrate Paleontology. He has conducted research and field work throughout the United States, in Alaska, Canada, England, Wales Germany, and Sweden. He has authored more than 30 research papers on fossil brachiopods, reefs, climate change, and the geology of Carnegie dinosaurs, eurypterids and fossil amphibians.

Current research includes an assessment of the geology, architectural, and cultural significance of thirty architectural stones, used in the exterior and interior construction of the Carnegie Institute in 1895, 1907, and 1974. All these stones from Algeria, Croatia, Greece, France, Ireland, Italy, Norwegian, and the United States have historical importance. Many were used in Greek, Roman and Venetian antiquities for sculpture and buildings. Mr. Kollar traveled to Croatia and Ireland in 2015 to research the original rock quarries. Future travel is planned for France and Italy.

Mr. Kollar has presented well over a hundred geology seminars and fossil field trips throughout western Pennsylvania for schools, regional parks, community organizations, conservancies, and professional meetings. He has organized several forums on Energy and History of Fossil Fuels of Western Pennsylvania at the University of Pittsburgh Osher Institute. He has collaborated with the Shady Side Academy Middle School – Earth Science program for more than a decade on earth history and the geology of fossil fuels of western Pennsylvania.

Albert is past President of the Pittsburgh Geological Society from 2011 – 2014. He is a member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Association for the Study of Marble and Other Stones in Antiquity, Geological Society of America, Global Heritage Stone, and The Pittsburgh Geological Society.

OCTOBER 9, 2018 (Tuesday)
“Getting to Know Our Neighbors: History of the Hill District”
Speaker: Terri Baltimore,
Director of Neighborhood Engagement for the Hill House Association
About Hill House Association from their website:
The Hill House serves clients through five strategic program areas: early learning and child development, youth services, family and workforce development, senior services and neighborhood services. In addition, the agency offers complimentary health and human services to its clients through 10 tenant agencies that reside on the Hill House campus.

About the Speaker:
Terri Baltimore is the Director of Neighborhood Engagement for the Hill House Association and has worked at the agency for over 25 years. Currently, she is responsible for environmental programs, volunteer activities and strategic partnerships.

Since 1992, she has led tours of the Hill District for a diverse group of organizations including: Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, National League of Cities, University of Lyon, Arts Excursions Unlimited, Duquesne University, Amizade Global Learning, Leadership Pittsburgh, Michigan State University, the Holocaust Center and the Green Building Alliance.

Terri is the Board President of the Ujamaa Collective, a Member of the African American Advisory Board at the Senator John Heinz History Center, a Board Member of the Daisy Wilson Artist Community and a Community Fellow at the Center for Engaged Teaching and Research at Duquesne University.

Ms. Baltimore earned a BA in Journalism from Duquesne University and was a member of the Leadership Pittsburgh Class XXII.

NOVEMBER 13, 2018 (Tuesday)
“Nine Mile Run”
Speaker: Wayne Bossinger, SHHS Board Member
From Nine Mile Run Watershed Association The Nine Mile Run watershed is a small urban watershed located in Pittsburgh’s East End.

Covering just 6.5 square miles, the watershed is home to numerous exciting initiatives, including the largest urban stream restoration in the United States completed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The Nine Mile Run Watershed Association (NMRWA) complements this amazing physical transformation with a variety of innovative urban ecology projects designed to directly involve the community in helping to improve the health of the watershed.

About the Speaker:
Wayne Bossiner, SHHS Member, has been researching and writing about Squirrel Hill’s history since retiring in 2014. His experience as an operations manager for the City of Pittsburgh gives him unique insights into the city’s neighborhoods as well as government records, such as deeds and probate documents.

DECEMBER 11, 2018 (Tuesday)
“The Story of Roads and Bridges in Pittsburgh”
Speaker: Todd Wilson, Transportation Engineer, Bridge Historian and Author of “Pittsburgh Bridges”
Pittsburgh, the City of Bridges, is also known for its convoluted roads. Some streets intersect each other three times. Others change names a few times. Giving directions, one often says, “Not that Right, the Other Right”, or “Go Straight”, which means angle left. The development of the City’s Roads is linked to the development of the City’s Bridges. In writing the book, “Images of America: Pittsburgh Bridges” published in 2015, the study of historical maps became a key research tool. Maps reviewed bridges that were eliminated when valleys were filled in and streets that were rearranged when new bridges were built. This research showed that by going back far enough in time, there was an explanation for each irregularity. This presentation will show these findings through maps and images past and present, explaining the City’s inconsistencies and abnormalities that make it unique.
Todd Wilson PictureAbout the Speaker: Todd Wilson is an award-winning professional engineer in Pittsburgh who has been photographing and writing about bridges his whole life. A Transportation Engineer, he is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University and served as History & Heritage Chair for the Pittsburgh Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers. Mr. Wilson is a Trustee of PHLF (Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation) and a former Landmarks Scholarship recipient.

YEAR 2019

January 8, 2019 (Tuesday)
“The History of Squirrel Hill’s Public Elementary Schools”
Speaker: Helen Wilson, SHHS Co-Vice President
Helen has found that people who attended public elementary schools in Squirrel Hill have vivid memories of them. She will use photos, maps, and other images to present a wealth of information about the history of those schools.

Squirrel Hill’s Public Schools
The history of the public schools in Squirrel Hill is convoluted.  Schools were built, named and renamed, torn down, relocated and reorganized.

Before 1868, Squirrel Hill was part of Peebles Township. When the City of Pittsburgh annexed the township in 1868, Squirrel Hill had only two small schools. The number soon grew to five as the population increased.  At first all the schools were named Colfax and numbered from 1 to 5, which created so much confusion a law was enacted ordering that the schools be given individual names.

Colfax No. 1 is still located at Beechwood Boulevard and Phillips Avenue. That school kept the Colfax name. It is the only one of the five original schools that is still a public school. Colfax No. 2 was at the intersection of Beechwood Boulevard and Saline Street near Brown’s Hill Road. It closed in 1907 but was reopened in 1916 as the Roosevelt School Annex when Roosevelt, located where the Greenfield Giant Eagle is now, became overcrowded. The annex closed and was torn down in 1939. Colfax No. 3, on Forward Avenue, became Forward Avenue School. It was torn down in 1923. Colfax No. 4, at Whipple and Commercial, became Swisshelm School, named for noted journalist and abolitionist Jane Gray Swisshelm. It no longer exists. Colfax No. 5, at Solway and Wightman Streets, became Wightman School, named for the owner of the Thomas Wightman Glass Company. It is now Wightman Community Center, owned by the Carriage House Children’s Center.

Besides the five Colfax schools, two other public elementary schools existed in Squirrel Hill. Brown School was built near the Monongahela River in 1888 on land donated by the Brown family. It closed in 1932, but the building remains and is an apartment house today. Davis School, named for a principal of the Frick Training School for Teachers, was located on Phillips Avenue. It opened in 1931 and closed in 1980.

Squirrel Hill’s stately public high school, Taylor Allderdice, was built in 1926 and is still going strong today. It was named for the president of the National Tube Company, who was a member of the Board of Education at the time.

Helen Wilson PictureAbout the Speaker: Helen Wilson, Co-Vice-President of the Squirrel Hill Historical Society, has been researching and writing about Squirrel Hill history for the past 12 years. Her articles have appeared in Squirrel Hill Magazine, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Historic Gardens Review (published in England) and other publications. She teaches a course on the development of Squirrel Hill at the CMU Osher Lifelong Learning Institute and has given presentations about Squirrel Hill to various historical societies and other groups.. In 2015, she and her son Todd co-authored Pittsburgh’s Bridges, a pictorial history of the bridges within Pittsburgh’s borders, part of Arcadia Publishing’s Images of America series. In 2017, she edited and co-authored Squirrel Hill: A Neighborhood History with four other members of the SHHS, which was published by The History Press.

February 12, 2019 (Tuesday)
“The History of Allderdice High School”
Speaker: Mina T. Levenson
Mina will discuss the history of Squirrel Hill’s most illustrious public school, Taylor Allderdice High School. Generations of graduates have made their mark in the world after spending their formative adolescent years at the grand old high school.

Named after industrialist Taylor Allderdice, our own neighborhood public high school opened in 1927 and has been credited many times over the years as a National Blue Ribbon School and as one of the best high schools by both Newsweek and US News & World Report.

Allderdice is one of the largest high schools in the City, and boasts of a population of about 1,500 students from Squirrel Hill and numerous nearby neighborhoods.

Among its alumni who have followed the school motto to “know something, do something, be something, ” is a uniquely long list of notable musicians, actors, professional athletes, scientists, economists, mayors, political activists, artists, writers, and filmmakers –  including Billy Porter, Rob Marshall, Kathleen Marshall, Wiz Khalifa, Sally and Maxine Lapiduss, Curtis Martin, Bob O’Connor, Richard Caliguiri, Sara Alpern, Gary Green and so many others.

March 12th, 2019 (Tuesday)

“The History of Kennywood Park”
Speaker: Andy Quinn, Kennywood Park historian and Community Relations Director
Andy will talk about the historic amusement park that so many generations of Pittsburghers have enjoyed.

Overlooking the Mon River on 80 acres in West Mifflin, historic Kennywood has long been a fun-filled destination for Pittsburgh.  Built on the site of the French and Indian War’s Battle of the Monogahela, the park was designed by architect George S. Davidson and opened as a trolley park in 1899.  It is one of 13 trolley parks currently in operation in the nation.

The Kennywood Entertainment Company operated what has been called “America’s finest traditional amusement park” for more than a century until it was sold about 10 years ago to Parques Reunidos.

The park is celebrated for its classic and modern rides, its carousel, Kiddieland, the Potato Patch (+ other refreshment stands and picnic areas), and is renowned for its three historic wooden roller coasters as well as its newer steel coasters.  The Phantom’s Revenge recently was cited by USA Today as being the third best roller coaster of any park in the U.S.  Kennywood has received state recognition, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of only two designated US Historic National Landmarks in the country.

About the Speaker:
Andy Quinn is a fourth-generation member of the Kennywood family, part of the McSwigan family that co-owned the landmark amusement park for more than a century. In his 40+ years at Kennywood, he has worked in many roles, including Food & Beverage, Marketing, and Government/Industry Relations. He currently serves as the park’s in-house historian and helps on special projects, primarily work involving government agencies.

April 9, 2019 (Tuesday)
“The History of Dollar Bank”

May 4
, 2019 (Saturday)
Squirrel Hill Business District (With Special Focus on 1970 -1990)
Time: 9:45 am – 12.00
Meeting Place, Church of the Redeemer, 5700 Forbes Avenue

May 14, 2019 (Tuesday)
“Gene Kelly and the Jewish Community of Squirrel Hill”
Speaker: Eric Lidji, Director of the Rauh Jewish Archives, Senator John Heinz History Center

Before he revolutionized the movie musical with films such as “An American in Paris” and “Singin’ in the Rain,” Gene Kelly was a young entertainer who was willing to take any job he could get in order to help support his family. His first break came in September 1931, when Beth Shalom Congregation hired him to teach Sunday dance classes for children and oversee the production of its annual springtime Kirmess. The job began a seven-year partnership between the Kelly family and the Jewish community of Squirrel Hill, forging friendships that would last more than half a century. Using rarely seen newspaper clippings and archival records, Eric Lidji will show how this intersection between a rising star and a growing community changed both forever and for better.

About the Speaker:
Eric Lidji is the director of the Rauh Jewish History Program & Archives at the Heinz History Center. He was raised in Squirrel Hill and graduated from Yeshiva Schools and the University of Pittsburgh. He is the author of two books on Pittsburgh history and culture, including “The Seventeenth Generation: The Lifework of Rabbi Walter Jacob.” He is the co-editor of “Her Deeds Sing Her Praises: Profiles of Pittsburgh Jewish Women.”

June 1, 2019 (Saturday)
Walking Tour of Chatham University
Time: 9:45 am -12.00pm
Meeting Place: Mellon Hall, Woodland Road
Note: Portions of this campus are quite hilly

June 11, 2019 (Tuesday)
“Catahecassa Springs Eternal”
Speaker: Matthew Falcone, President of Preservation Pittsburgh
Matthew will discuss the history of Catahacassa Fountain (and Snyder Spring), a prominent feature of Schenley Park and recent addition to the City’s Register of Historic Places, as well as its future prospects.

July 9, 2019 (Tuesday)
History of the Squirrel Hill Poetry Workshop and a Reading by the Poets
Speaker:  Rosaly DeMaios Roffman and members of the Squirrel Hill Poetry Workshop.
The poets will include: (as scheduling permits):  M. Soledad Caballero, Ann Carson, Ziggy Edwards, Nancy Esther James, Don Krieger, Christine Doreian Michaels, Randy Minnich, Pam O’Brien, Rosaly DeMaios Roffman, Joanne Matone Samraney, Shirley Stevens and Arlene Weiner.

A Short History of the Squirrel Hill Poetry Workshop
The Squirrel Hill Poetry workshop began in 1978 to bring together local poets for reading and a discussion of each other’s work. It was founded by Sue Saniel Elkind at the Squirrel Hill Library, a branch of the Carnegie.  In 1991, longtime member H. Kermit Jackson assumed the directorship of the group. Rosaly DeMaios Roffman became facilitator when Kermit Jackson died in 2000, and she presently leads the workshop with assistance from some current members.

The group originally met at the Squirrel Hill Library, but in 2010, the workshop moved to the CC Mellor Library in Edgewood where they meet every two weeks. Membership has remained steady, typically with 16 poets, and has included persons from varied professional backgrounds, including a kindergarten teacher, a salesman, a composer, college professors, a retired biochemist, a librarian, a biomedical researcher, an occupational therapist and a psychologist.

The workshop has published two anthologies: The First Decade (1988) edited by H. Kermit Jackson which featured the work of SQPW members and Pittsburgh and Tri-State Area Poets (1992) edited by Sue Saniel Elkind which featured the work of members and other local poets.

Nearly all members have published at least one book or chapbook, several have edited poetry anthologies and two have founded magazines and online journals.  Individual members have won literary prizes in national competitions and have read their poetry not only in venues around the United States, and also in Canada, Jerusalem, Athens and Bratislava.

In June of 2018, the Squirrel Hill Poetry Workshop celebrated their 40th Anniversary with a celebration at the Senator John Heinz History Center.

For more on our workshop, poems, biographical notes and photographs, go to: www.squirrelhillpoets.org

Also of interest:  Issue #29 of UPPAGUS, an online journal edited by Ziggy Edwards and Jude Rosen.  This issue is devoted to th poetry and history of the workshop.  For instance: https://uppagus.com/interviews/roffman1/

About the Speaker
Rosaly DeMaios Roffman taught creative writing, Classical Literature, World Mythology, and founded a Myth/Folklore Studies Center at IUP. She co-edited the prize-winning Life on the Line, and is the author of Going to Bed WholeTottering PalacesThe Approximate Message, and In the Fall of a Sparrow. She has read her poems in Ireland, Greece, Mexico, Israel, Spain, and Bratislava and has collaborated on 23 pieces with composers and other artists.  She as received grants from the National Endowment and the Witter Bynner Foundations and was awarded the Distinguished Faculty Award in the Arts at IUP.  In 2012 Tebot Bach published her latest book of poems, I Want to Thank My Eyes.

August 13, 2019 (Tuesday)
“The History of The Frick Pittsburgh, the Fricks and Clayton”
Speaker: Robin Nicholson, Executive Director, The Frick Pittsburgh
Robin will present a program about the Frick family and its most important legacies in the city—their mansion and art museum in Point Breeze.

September 10, 2019 (Tuesday)
“Getting To Know Our Neighbors: The History of Hazelwood”
Speaker: JaQuay Edward Carter, Founding President, Greater Hazelwood Historical Society of Pittsburgh

October 8, 2019 (Tuesday)
(Tentative Title) “Wicked Pittsburgh; A History of Corruption”
Speaker: Richard Gazarik, Journalist
Time: 7:30pm
Place: Church of the Redeemer




search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close