The History of Kennywood Park

March 12th, 2019
Speaker: Andy Quinn, Kennywood Park historian and Community Relations Director
Andy will talk about the historic amusement park that so many generations of Pittsburghers have enjoyed.

Overlooking the Mon River on 80 acres in West Mifflin, historic Kennywood has long been a fun-filled destination for Pittsburgh.  Built on the site of the French and Indian War’s Battle of the Monogahela, the park was designed by architect George S. Davidson and opened as a trolley park in 1899.  It is one of 13 trolley parks currently in operation in the nation.

The Kennywood Entertainment Company operated what has been called “America’s finest traditional amusement park” for more than a century until it was sold about 10 years ago to Parques Reunidos.

The park is celebrated for its classic and modern rides, its carousel, Kiddieland, the Potato Patch (+ other refreshment stands and picnic areas), and is renowned for its three historic wooden roller coasters as well as its newer steel coasters.  The Phantom’s Revenge recently was cited by USA Today as being the third best roller coaster of any park in the U.S.  Kennywood has received state recognition, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of only two designated US Historic National Landmarks in the country.

About the Speaker:
Andy Quinn is a fourth-generation member of the Kennywood family, part of the McSwigan family that co-owned the landmark amusement park for more than a century. In his 40+ years at Kennywood, he has worked in many roles, including Food & Beverage, Marketing, and Government/Industry Relations. He currently serves as the park’s in-house historian and helps on special projects, primarily work involving government agencies.

Back to 2019 Events Page

search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close