October 12, 2004
Speaker: SHHS Member Marian Cook
Video Not Available
From Church of the Redeemer:
“… [the church’s] roots go back to September 1900, when Mrs. Charles P. Smith began a Sunday school for her three children at her home on Wightman Street. Within a few months, she had invited the neighborhood children to join and had hosted the first formal church services.
By 1903, with the encouragement of the diocese, this nucleus of enthusiastic families had organized a parish, set up a building fund, and erected a temporary chapel.
Within a decade the young congregation had organized its church schools, choir, altar guild, and outreach activities, secured its present site on Forbes Avenue and constructed a church.
By the time Redeemer celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary, an additional lot had been purchased on Darlington Road, a parish house had been constructed, and plans had been finalized to enlarge the church. The expansion was completed by 1938, and in 1939, the resplendent stained-glass windows were begun. Designed and constructed by Howard Gilmann Wilbert, artist and scholar, they were completed in 1962. …”
Back to 2004 Events Page